Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Transatlantic Tastes - Homemade Tomato Soup and Deconstructed Grilled Cheese


N and I were Skyping a few weeks ago and decided we needed to get cooking again. Transatlantic Tastes has been on hiatus for too long and we missed it! So, last weekend, we "got together" (via good ol' Skype) to whip up a delicious meal.

As it's now autumn and the leaves are changing and the weather's growing cooler, there's nothing like a delicious bowl of soup to warm you right up. That's why, when we were trying to pick our next recipe to try, I thought we should do something completely different from what we've done in the past: soup.

There are lots of different kinds of soup, but I picked one that is a personal favourite of mine: good ol' classic tomato. Jamie says this recipe is really simple, and he's not kidding - it's so simple. With an ingredient list that's comprised of all foods that you'd most likely already have in your fridge or pantry, whipping up a pot of this scrumptious soup can make anyone feel like an accomplished chef.

Along with the soup, I decided to make a grilled cheese sandwich, because nothing goes better with tomato soup than grilled cheese. Though again, I didn't want to do the traditional grilled cheese with the two slices of manufactured white bread and the processed cheese slice. Instead, I bought some freshly baked Italian style ciabatta bread and some fancy aged cheddar cheese and broiled it in the oven. The result was amazingly tasty!

This soup was so good, I invited my parents and brother over for dinner the next day to enjoy it, and they cleaned the pot out! And I loved making it so much, I made it again later in the week with the rest of ingredients I had in the fridge, and it was even better the second time. I've now divided it up into separate containers and this delicious meal will be great to take with me to work over the next couple of weeks.



Seriously, do yourself a favour and go make this soup. You'll impress yourself and any of your culinary critics. And let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment